Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Licensure by residency - in California

So a couple years ago, there was a law that was passed that said that any graduated dentist who attended a one year post-grad residency (and didn't fail the WREBs board) could obtain their license to practice.  This applied to both states of California and New York.

This was something that I decided to do.  I knew I wanted to go to a GPR for the amazing experiences I would gain, but also because I wanted to avoid the wretched weekend of WREBs.  So my GPR was done 6/30/11, and my co-residents and I were able to file our paperwork.  We were able to submit our paperwork a little bit before the finish of the program, and received the license at the beginning of August.  If you don't submit your paperwork until after June 30th, I'd tell potential future employers late August or early Sept is a good time to start working. You can go to the CA Dental Board's website to also look up your license verification status, to see if it has been approved, even before you receive it in the mail! 

The CA Dental Board's website lists what you need, but it's not entirely intuitive.  And just to be clear, this is what I sent in for 2011's cycle. 

1)  APPLICATION FOR DETERMINATION OF LICENSURE ELIGIBILITY (RESIDENCY)
This requires a passport photo of yourself.  Costco rates are the cheapest around.  Pretty sure I paid $4.99 for one pair of passport photos, and it takes 15 minutes.  Well worth the trouble.

2)  Application Fee of $100
A personal check payable to "CA Dental Board" will suffice.

3)  Written proof from your dental school that you graduated
I had to fill out a documentation request form and mail this to UOP so that I could obtain a signed letter stating that I graduated with a DDS in 2010.  It didn't come in a sealed envelope, so I just tore the thing open and included it in my application.  Some friends of mine included a copy of their dental school diploma, which I guess couldn't hurt.

4)  Certification of Clinical Residency Completion form
Your GPR or AEGD director may not sign these off until the very last day of your residency, which is usually 6/30.  You should get a seal or verification on letterhead saying that you completed all the requirements.

5)  Submission of your original NBDE scores from Parts 1 and 2
It's not enough to provide photocopies.  They need to be the real deal.  You can request them from ADA's website to be submitted directly to the CA Dental Board.

6)  Written confirmation from WREB and $50 money order
It's not enough that you didn't take the WREB exam.  You need to send a History of Dental Exam Request form and a $50 money order to the WREB so that they can verify to the CA Dental Board that you did not attempt and fail the WREB.  Couldn't find the form online, but a friend of mine sent it to me and I posted it on GoogleDocs.  I'm sure you could also request the form from the WREB. 

7)  Fingerprints - BEFORE YOUR PAPERWORK
You need to print out the Fingerprinting form specifically from the CA Dental Board's website, and bring it to a facility that can take your fingerprints.  I went to the local Mail Services Etc. without an appointment, and not only was it extremely quick without a line, they offered LiveScan fingerprinting, which is digital.  Even though the FBI gets your prints in a matter of days after they're submitted, I'd recommend getting this done as soon as you can before filing your paperwork.  It cost me $71.00.  Click here for a complete list of LiveScan Fingerprinting facilities in CA.  I included a copy of my completed LiveScan Fingerprinting form with my application.

8) Completion of CA Law and Ethics Exam
This exam needs to be completed within 2 years of your filing for your license.  Most dental schools will offer this in their senior year.  I think UOP had us submit our results immediately to the CA Dental Board, since I didn't have to submit anything separate in my application to prove that I took and passed the Law and Ethics Exam.  It's a multiple choice exam, and takes a couple hours to complete. Sadly, the CA Dental Board won't tell you if they have your results on file until your application has been submitted.

After you submit your paperwork, and make sure you send it CERTIFIED with DELIVERY CONFIRMATION, you'll have to wait about 4-6 weeks until you get the secondary application and a form explaining how to calculate your prorated license fee.

1)  Application for Issuance of License and Registration of Place of Practice
This isn't online anywhere, and will be submitted to you as a secondary application after your app has been reviewed.  You fill it out to the best of your ability, and if you don't have a place of practice, no worries.  You can update that later once you have a job.

2)  Prorated license fee
Every two years, your dental license needs to be renewed.  For some reason, the CA Dental Board prorates this based on your birthday, and according to the year.  So you have to calculate that according to the chart they provide, and submit a personal check with the correct amount.  If you get confused, they provide a number for you to call.

Once the secondary portion of your application is submitted, also CERTIFIED with DELIVERY CONFIRMATION, it'll take 7-10 business days until you receive a letter receipt stating that your license has been processed and you'll get your license number!  You'll get a pocket ID with your information (I'd recommend to have it laminated) as well as your formal licensing certificate.  Frame that!

Congrats!  You have your license... and can start practicing!

3 comments: